Tuesday, April 20, 2010

FIRST BIRTHDAYS

I've done a lot of First Birthday cakes recently and mom's are going all out for parties. First Birthdays are one of my favorite occasions. For me it usually means the beginning of a special relationship. I become 'The Cake Lady' for a family - a priveledge not too many get to experience. I also love being reminded of First Birthday's. It usually goes like this 'Hi. You did a cake for my little boy's/girl's first birthday last year.' or 'It's that time of year again! What flavor did we have last year?' 

The latest one I did was based on the invitations 'Mod Monkey'. This is the second time I have done this theme and still think the colors and monkey are adorable.



The design was based on a photo mom found on the internet, so I can't give credit to anyone, but isn't the design cute? The original cake had a two layer, side cake (I call it a smash cake) that was iced in chocolate with the monkey face on top and it was precious. I recommended to mom that we not do chocolate, that we do a fondant face instead (easily removed before demolition) and save mom the battle of chocolate cleanup in the midst of the party.  I wish I had gotten that advice before my first born dug into his cake which happened to be chocolate. Pictures were fun, cleanup not so much.

In the next few weeks there will be Second Birthday's celebrated and hopefully some tutorials on accessories for a Pirate theme. Arrrrrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment