Wednesday, March 10, 2010

SCOOBY DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? TUTORIAL TO FOLLOW

He'll be making an appearance on my cake this weekend! Since I haven't posted in a while (rut roh) I am going to post pictures of a cake-in-progress when I do it this weekend.  The order is for a 9 inch gluten-free yellow cake for a five year old who likes Scooby Doo. I will use the same technique I did for George on this cake.  Isn't he cute?


The technique is called run-in sugar aka run sugar, or flooding.The pattern was transfered to a piece of fondant (more on that this weekend), outlined in a thick glace and filled in with a thinned glace. Scooby will be done with this very technique.  The 'Glace' recipe I use is courtesy of Toba Garrett, an amazing decorator. You can see her work here.  From what I remember (I have been using it for years) the recipe was an alternative to royal icing for cookies. I prefer it as it tastes great and doesn't dry rock hard like RI.  If you would like a copy of the recipe just email me.

The cake will have some fun colors and funky flowers on it like the ones on the instantly recognizable van Shaggy, Velma, Daphne and Freddie drove around in.

See you this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment